This little lady is gettin’ reeeeaaalll “penny-wise”! With a little less than 1 year until the wedding, Tanner and I are going to pinch where ever we can, in order to save up for our dream day! The topic that has really been on our minds lately has been “what can you do for free?” Answer…not a ton, but wait…
Living in the Pacific Northwest there isn’t really a big rockabilly/pinup scene. In fact, I am actually the only pinup style chick I know in the area Thankfully one of our favorite past times this summer has been attending local car shows. It’s where I find I feel right at home! Photo above is us just before heading out to the last show : )
How Car Shows Work:
- They are often put on by local car clubs or auto shops.
- Each car being shown pays an entry fee, which goes to the clubs or local charities.
- The cars can enter competitively to win a variety of awards.
- The public can then view the cars on display and have a meet & greet with many of the owners for free or a small donation!
Most often the shows have retro rocking music playing, and sometimes there will be food vendors and a kid’s area. All the people that we have met thus far have been super friendly and nice!
Here are more of my favorites from the last car show we went to in downtown Gladstone, which was hosted by the Associated Fords of the Fifties…
The owners L.O.V.E. to talk about their “babies”! Also, if you enjoy dressing up as much as we do, it is appreciated there as well : ) My favorite compliments come from the older crowd who tell me things like: “I remember the days when people used to dress like that! You look just wonderful!”
Don’t know a thing about cars? Who cares! If you can appreciate the artistry it took to originally design these beauties and the passion and patience it takes to maintain them to this day, you belong at a car show.
If you are interested in car culture or a vintage lifestyle, classic car shows in your area is where you should look. My favorite part of going to the shows, is that it gives me another excuse to dress up!
Hope you are having a great last few days of Summer! (Faux nose pick for the win!)
2 girls, 1 suit….
Today I am going to review the “Cocoship Flora Polka Vintage High Waisted Bikini Swimsuits Swimwear(FBA)” (absurd name, right?), which I recently purchased from Amazon for a whopping $23.99! Now the suit was awarded 4 Stars by 836 customers so I was pretty hopeful that it would be at least wearable. With prime, I received it in 2 business days. The suit was shipped in a clear poly bag with a simple sticker and sanitation liner intact. No frills, no tags, just a suit in a bag. Once I tried it on I was in love. I immediately sent a picture to one of my girlfriend’s and told her to order one ASAP and this last Thursday we reviewed the suit together. Let me preface this by saying that we are both in the apparel industry so we are pretty picky when it comes to clothing fit and construction. I am 5’9″, a 33in bust, 26in waist, 38in hip and around 132lbs. My friend is 5’5″, a 33in bust, 26in waist, 37in hip and 125lbs. We both ordered a size Small.
Here we are…
Let’s start with the top. While the cups are a nice shape and thickness, they are spaced much too wide. If you take notice of my top vs. Ashley’s, her’s is post alteration. She has sewn a tiny seam between the cups underneath the decorative tie to bring the cups closer together. I am planning to do the same but thought it would be wise to give you a true “before & after”. This 1 alteration does wonders for the girls if you know what I mean ; )
The bottoms. They are WONDERFUL! During the photo shoot Ashley made a comment that it feels like you are wearing sweatpants! The ruching is very flattering and the full booty and front coverage makes you feel free to dance, do cartwheels or jump off a high-dive without worrying that it will find it’s way up your bum. These bottoms are also truly “High Waist”. It is so high in fact that I even needed to scrunch it down a little to hit at my natural waistline.
The construction can be seen below and looks fairly decent. The seams are surged with little to no seam grin or loose threads.
All in all, this is a smokin’ deal! Here is the link again….go buy it. You won’t regret it. Now for a few more fun shots from Thursday…
Oh my gosh. There are only 15 more days until VLV 18! I am so stinking excited I can’t even handle it. What is VLV 18 you might be wondering? Well, as far as I have figured out… it is heaven. 4 Days of Vintage, Burlesque, Kustom Kulture bliss that draws around 20,000 to Las Vegas. At this rockabilly retreat you will find car shows, jive classes, burlesque showcases, pinup competitions, hair & makeup classes, endless concerts, bowling tournaments, a tattoo lounge and the list goes on! I discovered this event myself last year right after it ended and I knew as soon as I saw those sky-high do’s and chrome beauties that this next year I would not be missing it.
As the style obsessed person that I am, I began mulling over my closet to find just the perfect outfit for each event and this past weekend my man and I planned it aaaallllll out. I figured that each day needed at least 1 daytime outfit that was cool and comfortable and could withstand the day’s festivities as well as a sultry night piece to end the evening. Now I am going to save those planned bits for a later post but I will let you in on the steals and deals I walked away with this weekend while shopping for “the gaps” in my wardrobe…
Gap #1) Comfortable heels
- 3″ or shorter heel.
- Under $30.
- Neutral color.
- Nice cushion for lengthy walks.
Score: Ross Dress For Less $14.99.
Gap #2) Comfortable Flats
- Will stay on my feet.
- Under $20.
- Neutral color.
- Nice cushion or cheap enough to warrant buying inserts.
Score: Payless Shoesource $9.00 on clearance.
Gap #3) Flashy Purse
- Cute & Flashy.
- Under $20.
Score: Garage Sale Warehouse $3.00.
Gap #4) Nude Tights w/ Seams.
- Will work with my very fair skin tone and not make me look like I have carrot sticks for legs.
- Under $20.
- Can buy in store. (Proof that color will work).
Score: Target $10.00
Gap #5) Cateye Sunglasses…sat on my favorite pair last week : (
- Larger frame to flatter a larger face.
- Under $20.
- Unique features such as color or embellishment.
Score: Amazon, red pair & black pair $9.99 each w/ free shipping.
Gap #6) High Waist Bikini
- Figure flattering.
- Under $50.
- Unique prints or styling.
Score: Amazon $23.99 w/ free shipping! Top AND Bottom. Great reviews and many consumer photos to support.
2 Pairs of Shoes
+ 1 Purse
+ 1 Pair of Tights
+ 2 Pairs of Sunglasses
+ 1 Swimsuit
Total: $80.96 Hot Damn.
One of my all time favorite accessories are hair flowers because of their endless colors, shapes, sizes and combinations. There are many companies offering beautiful assortments of “hair flowers” but if you are creative, resourceful and have a handful of bobby pins you can up your hair game in seconds.
Check out your local craft stores. They have entire aisles of flowers! Any color or shape you can imagine. While fake flowers can get expensive, most craft stores have email lists you can sign up for which will send you coupons. These can easily save you 50% per bunch. The average flower bunch at my local store costs around $7.99 regular price. Each stem has anywhere from 3-7 blooms depending on the flower size. Having many blooms of the same flower can come in handy as you can choose among the different sizes. Also, this makes flower stacking a snap!
Next you will need bobby pins. You can find 50-100 count cards of them for $1-$3 each. Just pop off a bloom. No need to cut off the small tip at the bottom of the bloom, as it will not show once you pin the blooms in place. Another reason not to cut that off is doing so can cause the bloom to fall apart. Petals may be nice in the bedroom but realizing you only have 1 measly green leaf left in your hair at the end of the day can be quite a turn off! Now let’s look at how to store…
In order to keep your faux florals looking fresh you will need to store them in a place they will not get squashed. I bought a 1.5″ ribbon at my local craft store, tied it in a bow with really long tails and hung it up in my bathroom next to my mirror. I then just bobby pin my blooms to the bow tails. Its easy, quick, and efficient and looks lovely!
Until next time,
Lipstick: A pinup necessity that can transform you into the bell of the ball or yesterday’s road kill. Let me start by saying that I have a butt load of lipsticks, and by that I mean around 30. I often refer to my purse as my “lipstick holder” as I am constantly carting around new brands to find that perfect red, perfect matte, or best buy. I have chosen my top 5 go-to’s and decided to put them to the test to see which one rose above the rest. I devoted a full day to each and made note of the following…
Judging Criteria: [Rated 1-5, 5 being the best and 1 the worst.]
- Texture- How did it feel? Was it heavy, slimy, light, dry etc…?
- Bleeding- Did I end up looking like the Joker at the end of the day?
- Long Lasting- How often did I need to reapply?
- Easily Removable- Scrub-a-dub-dub, is it still there?
- NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick, Color: LSS511 Chaos
- Milani Color Statement Lipstick, Color: 20 Uptown Mauve
- Covergirl Lipstick, Color: 305 Hot Passion
- Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Matte Collection, Color: 111 Kiss of Life
- Maybelline New York ColorSensational Lipcolor, Color: 645 Red Revival
The Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Matte Collection out performed the rest. This little number had great coverage without feeling too thick or slippery and there wasn’t much bleeding. I only needed to reapply once after lunch and once again at 5pm. Another great thing about this lipstick was at the end of the day it was fairly easy to remove. I highly recommend it and at $5.49 its a smokin’ deal!
Hi there beautiful!
Now that we have covered the clothing basics, I can finally talk about one of my favorite topics…SHOES! I have picked 5 “easy to wear/go with almost anything” styles and 1 wild card ; ) If you see something you like, follow the links below the photos for my bargain finds.1) Saddle Shoes.
What ever the outfit, these guys in the classic black & white are a go-to. Check out this link for a great option: $29.99 from Amazon.2) Boogie Shoes (Oxfords).
While mine are in a 2 tone metallic, you can find a plethora of fun eye-catching options out there! I personally have just added these Orange Ollio’s to my list.3) Black Mary Janes.
Need a little lift? Look no further than a pair of black mary janes. Easier to walk in then most heels thanks to that friendly little strap, try these Journee pair from Target for $34.99.4) Red Patent Leather Pumps.
I have heard that matching your lipstick to your shoes is tacky but when your shoes are candy-apple red, how can you resist?! Bargain find: $34.99 from ModCloth, make sure to read reviews.5) Leopard Suede Pumps.
Got a date? These will keep ’em on their toes! Choosing suede rather than a shiny finish makes leopard much more approachable if you are new to the print. Take a look at these $34.99 babies from Amazon.
6) Wild Card!
Choose something unexpected! My choice: Zombie Peep Toes. These were a birthday present a couple years ago and they still remain one of my all time favorites. From Iron Fist $35-50 depending on size.
Thanks for reading! If you enjoy this blog you can sign up for new post notifications below and if there are any topics you are interested in, feel free to suggest them in the comments : )
Until next time,
So I have talked to many gals who are interested in dressing in the pinup vintage style but they have no idea where to start. I feel ya girl and the answer is right here! You may be new to pinup/rockabilly/ vintage/psychobilly style but whatever subculture spin you put on it here are the 5 must haves every doll needs and where to find them on the cheap!
- High-waist jeans
- Until the surge of the legging, jeans have been a staple in nearly every closet in every city, town and country. While you can come by many high rise styles, high-waist styles are much harder to find. Keep an eye out when you are shopping stores like H&M and Forever 21. If they happen to have a pair and it fits, buy 2. These things are like unicorns, so you won’t regret it. When ordering online even if it says “high waist” take a good look at the photos. Is the model’s belly button showing? If yes, these are not high enough. You want the jeans to come up to the skinniest part of your waist. Below are a few sights that I have found to have true high-waist jeans at an affordable price.
- The Pencil Skirt
- Here many of the same rules apply as to high-waist jeans. The skirt must cover your navel. If it doesn’t, you will be wasting your god given gift of curves. The goal is to accentuate them! The skirt can have belt loops, not have belt loops, pockets, no pockets… doesn’t matter. I personally believe in skirts with a pieced in waistband, just below the knee and not too stretchy. What’s the point of wearing something tight if it’s going to let everything fly all over the place anyways? Solid colors are always a good place to start, as they can be paired with many different tops and are less noticeable if you decide to wear it 2x in a week. Below are a few links to my favorite places for them.
- Google “Thrift Stores [Your Area]”. Seriously. You can find adorable pencil skirts for around $2 a pop! I often go to the local Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul.
- This skirt from ModCloth for $39.00 may be pushing the budget, but for a staple piece like this black high waist pencil skirt, I would say it is worth it.
- How does a pinup stay smokin’ hot AND warm at the same time you might ask? The answer is cardigans. This is one of my all-time favorite categories in my closet. I’m getting giddy just talking about it! Here are reasons why I love them. 1) They are cheap. 2) Can add a great novelty factor to any outfit. 3) Easy to find in most modern stores.
- $14.95 at H&M and they come in a plethora of colors.
- With faux pearl buttons for $12.90 at Forever21 this adorable number is a must have!
- Boyfriend Button-downs
- If you know a male then you have access to this already. One of the cheapest, easiest and most comfortable ways to dress pinup is by using your boyfriend’s/dad’s/brother’s/bestie’s old dress shirts. Remember “Rosie the Riveter”? Try to use men’s size x-small-medium, depending on your size, since men’s dress shirts usually have a lot of volume and you do not want to look buried in it. Think ginghams and plaids! Tuck them in or tie them up and pair with your high-waist jeans and pencil skirts for a casual look. If the men in your life refuse to let you raid their closet here are a few I recommend…
- Easy Iron Shirt $14.95 at H&M. Love the classic blue stripe.
- BSNY Men’s Gingham Button Down – Navy/Red $17.48 on clearance at Target. This guy has some super cute contrasting fabric details!
- Figure Accenting Dresses
- These can come in many different forms, but the thing to remember is accentuate the things you love about your body. Confidence is by far the sexiest thing you can wear. I personally like my waist and my arms, so therefore my favorite dresses to wear are swing style dresses. They emphasize a small waist while giving you a lot of legroom and coverage. If you love your booty and hips try a wiggle dress. Main thing to keep in mind is emphasize that hour glass! Check out the styles bellow.
- This figure hugging $34.86 classy broad from Lindy Bop can go from day to night. The downside, shipping to US will add $7.20 to your order. That said, for the styling this is still a great deal.
- $34.00 AND free shipping from Amazon. This swing dress has an adorable neckline, waist cinching design and comes in a playful polka dot print. Great reviews as well 😉
-The Penny-wise Pinup