Lipstick: A pinup necessity that can transform you into the bell of the ball or yesterday’s road kill. Let me start by saying that I have a butt load of lipsticks, and by that I mean around 30. I often refer to my purse as my “lipstick holder” as I am constantly carting around new brands to find that perfect red, perfect matte, or best buy. I have chosen my top 5 go-to’s and decided to put them to the test to see which one rose above the rest. I devoted a full day to each and made note of the following…
Judging Criteria: [Rated 1-5, 5 being the best and 1 the worst.]
- Texture- How did it feel? Was it heavy, slimy, light, dry etc…?
- Bleeding- Did I end up looking like the Joker at the end of the day?
- Long Lasting- How often did I need to reapply?
- Easily Removable- Scrub-a-dub-dub, is it still there?
- NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick, Color: LSS511 Chaos
- Milani Color Statement Lipstick, Color: 20 Uptown Mauve
- Covergirl Lipstick, Color: 305 Hot Passion
- Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Matte Collection, Color: 111 Kiss of Life
- Maybelline New York ColorSensational Lipcolor, Color: 645 Red Revival
The Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Matte Collection out performed the rest. This little number had great coverage without feeling too thick or slippery and there wasn’t much bleeding. I only needed to reapply once after lunch and once again at 5pm. Another great thing about this lipstick was at the end of the day it was fairly easy to remove. I highly recommend it and at $5.49 its a smokin’ deal!
Hi there beautiful!
Now that we have covered the clothing basics, I can finally talk about one of my favorite topics…SHOES! I have picked 5 “easy to wear/go with almost anything” styles and 1 wild card ; ) If you see something you like, follow the links below the photos for my bargain finds.1) Saddle Shoes.
What ever the outfit, these guys in the classic black & white are a go-to. Check out this link for a great option: $29.99 from Amazon.2) Boogie Shoes (Oxfords).
While mine are in a 2 tone metallic, you can find a plethora of fun eye-catching options out there! I personally have just added these Orange Ollio’s to my list.3) Black Mary Janes.
Need a little lift? Look no further than a pair of black mary janes. Easier to walk in then most heels thanks to that friendly little strap, try these Journee pair from Target for $34.99.4) Red Patent Leather Pumps.
I have heard that matching your lipstick to your shoes is tacky but when your shoes are candy-apple red, how can you resist?! Bargain find: $34.99 from ModCloth, make sure to read reviews.5) Leopard Suede Pumps.
Got a date? These will keep ’em on their toes! Choosing suede rather than a shiny finish makes leopard much more approachable if you are new to the print. Take a look at these $34.99 babies from Amazon.
6) Wild Card!
Choose something unexpected! My choice: Zombie Peep Toes. These were a birthday present a couple years ago and they still remain one of my all time favorites. From Iron Fist $35-50 depending on size.
Thanks for reading! If you enjoy this blog you can sign up for new post notifications below and if there are any topics you are interested in, feel free to suggest them in the comments : )
Until next time,
So I have talked to many gals who are interested in dressing in the pinup vintage style but they have no idea where to start. I feel ya girl and the answer is right here! You may be new to pinup/rockabilly/ vintage/psychobilly style but whatever subculture spin you put on it here are the 5 must haves every doll needs and where to find them on the cheap!
- High-waist jeans
- Until the surge of the legging, jeans have been a staple in nearly every closet in every city, town and country. While you can come by many high rise styles, high-waist styles are much harder to find. Keep an eye out when you are shopping stores like H&M and Forever 21. If they happen to have a pair and it fits, buy 2. These things are like unicorns, so you won’t regret it. When ordering online even if it says “high waist” take a good look at the photos. Is the model’s belly button showing? If yes, these are not high enough. You want the jeans to come up to the skinniest part of your waist. Below are a few sights that I have found to have true high-waist jeans at an affordable price.
- The Pencil Skirt
- Here many of the same rules apply as to high-waist jeans. The skirt must cover your navel. If it doesn’t, you will be wasting your god given gift of curves. The goal is to accentuate them! The skirt can have belt loops, not have belt loops, pockets, no pockets… doesn’t matter. I personally believe in skirts with a pieced in waistband, just below the knee and not too stretchy. What’s the point of wearing something tight if it’s going to let everything fly all over the place anyways? Solid colors are always a good place to start, as they can be paired with many different tops and are less noticeable if you decide to wear it 2x in a week. Below are a few links to my favorite places for them.
- Google “Thrift Stores [Your Area]”. Seriously. You can find adorable pencil skirts for around $2 a pop! I often go to the local Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul.
- This skirt from ModCloth for $39.00 may be pushing the budget, but for a staple piece like this black high waist pencil skirt, I would say it is worth it.
- How does a pinup stay smokin’ hot AND warm at the same time you might ask? The answer is cardigans. This is one of my all-time favorite categories in my closet. I’m getting giddy just talking about it! Here are reasons why I love them. 1) They are cheap. 2) Can add a great novelty factor to any outfit. 3) Easy to find in most modern stores.
- $14.95 at H&M and they come in a plethora of colors.
- With faux pearl buttons for $12.90 at Forever21 this adorable number is a must have!
- Boyfriend Button-downs
- If you know a male then you have access to this already. One of the cheapest, easiest and most comfortable ways to dress pinup is by using your boyfriend’s/dad’s/brother’s/bestie’s old dress shirts. Remember “Rosie the Riveter”? Try to use men’s size x-small-medium, depending on your size, since men’s dress shirts usually have a lot of volume and you do not want to look buried in it. Think ginghams and plaids! Tuck them in or tie them up and pair with your high-waist jeans and pencil skirts for a casual look. If the men in your life refuse to let you raid their closet here are a few I recommend…
- Easy Iron Shirt $14.95 at H&M. Love the classic blue stripe.
- BSNY Men’s Gingham Button Down – Navy/Red $17.48 on clearance at Target. This guy has some super cute contrasting fabric details!
- Figure Accenting Dresses
- These can come in many different forms, but the thing to remember is accentuate the things you love about your body. Confidence is by far the sexiest thing you can wear. I personally like my waist and my arms, so therefore my favorite dresses to wear are swing style dresses. They emphasize a small waist while giving you a lot of legroom and coverage. If you love your booty and hips try a wiggle dress. Main thing to keep in mind is emphasize that hour glass! Check out the styles bellow.
- This figure hugging $34.86 classy broad from Lindy Bop can go from day to night. The downside, shipping to US will add $7.20 to your order. That said, for the styling this is still a great deal.
- $34.00 AND free shipping from Amazon. This swing dress has an adorable neckline, waist cinching design and comes in a playful polka dot print. Great reviews as well 😉
-The Penny-wise Pinup
In this Part 2 I will show you how I use all the ingredients from Part 1 to create long lasting sexy jet black hair for around $20. I wanted to start this new year off fresh so I decided to do my roots. Since I have already made my initial investments my current cost of upkeep is down to $5.99. That probably wouldn’t even cover the tip in a salon!
The Dye Process:
- Important: Read all labels and warnings with regards to skin allergies and safety.
- Make sure your hair is clean and doesn’t have any products or conditioners in it.
- Put on the old t-shirt.
- Lay your old towel across the sink with all your supplies ready to go.
- Set up a trash that you wont have to open once your gloves are all covered in dye.
- I just use a plastic shopping bag.
- Clip up your hair and take your petroleum jelly. Outline your hairline and tops of your ears.
- This will protect your skin from any dye that might get out of line. It feels awful but by golly is it worth it!
- Put your gloves on.
- Dump the 2 oz bottle of the L’Oréal Permanent Hair Color #1 Blue Black into your squeeze bottle.
- I really like the squeeze bottle I have because it has measurement lines that really come in handy when you need to work with different quantities.
- Add 2 oz of 20 vol. Cream Developer and screw on the cap.
- I was recently told that 10 vol. developer can be used as well. The 10 will be even less damaging to your hair than the 20 but I have chosen to stick with 20 for now as this hair color calls for 20-30 vol.
- Place your fingertip firmly over the nozzle of the squeeze bottle and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Part your hair, (I normally start down the middle), and begin dispensing a line of dye along the part and brush dye in.
- Repeat step 11 down the right side, left side and back of hair.
- Use the rest of the dye to saturate hair making sure all hairlines in back, front and sides are covered but not messy.
- Once finished set timer for 25 min.
- Cover hair with bag, do some clean up of any dye that may have strayed.
- This is where your stain remover comes in handy.
- Eat something sexy like instant oatmeal and wait.
- After the 25 min., rinse your hair until the water runs clear. Once clear, take your after-color care deep conditioner and saturate hair. Let sit for at least 5 min. Rinse, then dry using your old towel. Voila! You are done!
The Final Outcome!
My friend Ashley and I on NYE. I’m the one with the black hair ; )
Tips & Tricks:
- Do not wash your hair for at least 24 hrs after dying. Let the hair have time to rest.
- To keep the rich dark color, limit hair washings to every 3rd day. I know it may sound gross. I used to wash my hair every morning and by the end of the day my hair would be greasy. Now I only wash it every 3rd day and by day 3 it is barely even oily. Amazing really. Also, shower caps are sexy. I don’t care what anyone says ;P
- To keep it looking shiny you can use styling products such as waxes and creams but never ever start at the roots! Putting product at your roots will cause your hair to get oily quickly. Always start at the ends of the hair.
-The Penny-wise Pinup